Ponsart Editie Nr.18 Ahr Spätburgunder 2007

Sadly this is the last bottle already of the collection spätburgunders I took home with me from my roadtrip through "das Ahrtal" in Germany. It came from a local supermarket called "HIT" for €14,99 alcoholpercentage is a whopping 14,5%. My head is spinning noticeably after just two glasses. But it's worth it. German pinot noir, or spätburgunder as it is called here, is in a completely different league from Burgundy pinot noirs. Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges, but on their own they are both very tasty and some of them are real gems. Gladly this is one of those. Nevertheless it comes second after the Jean Stodden pinot noir I already have tasted. Clear, pale red colour. The typical aroma of pinot noir is apparent, also the scent of forest soil. The first sip immediately reveals what is so characteristic of German spätburgunders: its bitterness. Orange zest, grapefruit, strawberry, liquorice but I can also taste something green still. Some immaturity perhaps. Despite it being a warm wine and the high level of alcohol it is still a very fresh wine. Beautifully balanced and perfectly ready to drink.

No comments: